Recipe of the Week- Butter Chicken
This week we are making BUTTER CHICKEN! This dish is so amazing; it is so easy to make and you can customize it to your own liking. My boyfriend and I have been loving this recipe for a while now and honestly we make it a little different every time and it always turns out perfectly. We use a butter chicken specific spice for our recipe which makes it super easy to achieve the tradition flavours of this dish. If I am not mistaken, cream is traditionally used as the base of the sauce, however, we have found that we like coconut milk a little bit better. We love coconut milk for a variety of dishes like Thai curry so we use coconut milk for most of our recipes. Rice is also used as a side for this dish but for a carb alternative, we use cauliflower rice.
- Chicken Thighs (4-6 for two people- cut into small slices)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Teaspoons of Turmeric Powder
- Cauliflower Rice
- Green Bell Pepper
- Asparagus (or any other veggie that you like)
- Coconut Milk (canned + full fat)
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken with the sliced onion, garlic, and turmeric.
- Heat a large pan to medium/high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter and once the pan has come to temperature, you can add the chicken mixture.
- Add as much of the Butter Chicken spice as you like (I would start with 1-2 tablespoons).
- Once the chicken is cooked, add all of your chopped veggies and cauliflower rice.
- Let the veggies cook down for a couples minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir, and cover for 5 mins
- Taste the dish and add more spice if you desire a more intense flavour.
(My boyfriend added a base of steamed sweet potato to his bowl and laid the butter chicken on top)
Hope you enjoy just as much as we do!