Exercise of the Week- Dumbbell Squat to Overhead Press
Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful start to your week!
For this week we will be executing a dynamic exercise that requires you to focus on your stability, strength and endurance in one kinematic sequence. The dumbbell squat to overhead press activates your core muscles (abdominal & gluteal muscles) to stabilize your body in the start and finish position of the exercise. In addition, you are building strength/stability within your shoulders during the press action where you will have to focus on power production since you’ll be working against the forces of gravity.
Relation to the golf swing:
This exercise ties well with golf in comparison to how we use the ground for force production and transferring that energy towards the hips, to the torso and through the arms. The overhead press will improve shoulder strength/stability which will help you support your club dynamically from the top of the backswing into the downswing into order to keep your kinetic chain in tact.
- Equipment – Dumbbells (15lbs – 24lbs) or Kettlebells or No Weight
- Frequency – 3 sets with 12-14 repetitions
- Place the dumbbells on shoulders with your feet shoulder width apart and toes pointed outwards.
- Engage your core musculature (gluteal & abdominal muscles) and commence downward into a squat until your butt is parallel with the ground.
- Pushing through your heels, drive through the ground and use the momentum to push the dumbbells above your head.
- Return the dumbbells back to the starting position in control and repeat the same sequence.
*As you get more comfortable with the movement pattern you can increase the tempo of the kinematic sequence to further improve your endurance and power output.*
Hope you enjoy!